These sweet potato fries with are spiced with chili and garlic, then served up with sweet and spicy honey-chipotle mayo. The perfect go-with-everything side dish!
Recently, I noticed a SHOCKING lack of side dish recipes here on the blog. I’m usually not much of a sides gal, instead opting for simple, one-pot meals most of the time. But when I do make a meal with sides, I’d prefer one to be these sweet potato fries.
These sweet-n-spicy babies are truly perfect. They’re tossed in cornstarch and spices to make them extra crispy and flavorful, then baked and served with a seriously good honey-chipotle mayo. If you’re not a fan of mayonnaise, I also love love LOVE these with some spicy honey mustard.
There are a few key moves to make your fries perfect. First, try to cut them uniformly. I find it easiest to cut my potato in half width-wise, then turn each half onto its flat end and cut it into 1/4-inch-thick planks. Then I lay those planks out and cut them into fries. It doesn’t take too long and it results in picture-perfect fry shapes.
Second, you gotta hit ’em with the cornstarch. Just a tablespoon of the stuff provides ample crispiness. And finally, try not to crowd them together on the tray. I had to use two baking sheets for this, because crowded fries = soggy fries. Not ideal.
But when you hit that crispy-spicy-salty-sweet balance? Sweet potato fry nirvana. These will definitely be your go-to side with basically every meal from now on. They’re certainly mine.
If you make these Spiced Sweet Potato Fries with Honey-Chipotle Mayo, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below, and tag me on Instagram @feelinwhisky!Print
Spiced Sweet Potato Fries with Honey-Chipotle Mayo
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
For the sweet potato fries:
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick batons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for topping, optional
For the honey-chipotle mayo:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Prepare the fries: Preheat the oven to 425° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside. In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, olive oil, cornstarch, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss to combine, making sure there are no dry bits of cornstarch remaining. Divide the sweet potato fries between the two baking sheets, spreading them out in an even layer. Be careful not to overcrowd the trays to make sure the fries crisp up.
- Bake the fries: Bake the fries for 15 minutes, then use a spatula to flip them over. Return them to the oven and bake for an additional 15–20 minutes, or until crispy and browned.
- Make the honey-chipotle mayo: In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, chipotle chili powder, honey, salt, and apple cider vinegar.
- Serve: Let the fries cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before serving with the honey-chipotle mayo and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro, if desired.
Keywords: sweet potato fries, sweet potatoes, side dish recipe, easy side dish, chipotle, spicy mayo, honey